Skip to main content

Your local TABC

Sign Requirements

Alcohol retailers are required by law to display certain signs on their licensed premises. The signs you might need depend on your license or permit status.

Be sure to review the criteria for each sign and contact your local TABC office with questions.

Types of Signs

60-Day Sign for New License and Permit Applicants

If you’re a retailer applying for a new license or permit, you may have to post a sign at your business location to notify the public of your intent to sell alcohol. Whether you need a sign depends on if your location has been licensed or permitted for on-premise sales in the two years before our first review of your application. If you’re required to post it, your outdoor sign needs to be visible for 60 days before TABC issues your license or permit.

Not displaying this sign could delay the application process. You can get copies of your 60-Day Sign at your local TABC office or download the 60-Day Sign, print and assemble.

If You're an Off-Premise Retailers

In general, retailers like convenience stores, grocery stores, package stores and authorized upper tier members will post the signs below. Get copies at your local TABC office or download them here:

If You're an On-Premise Retailer

In general, retailers such as bars, restaurants and authorized upper tier members should post the following signs:

Red Handgun Warning Sign

Alcoholic beverage retailers that derive 51% or more of its income from the sale of alcoholic beverages for on-premise consumption must post the red sign. The red sign has 51% in large red letters superimposed over a warning that says possession of a handgun on the premises is unlawful. The sign is displayed by establishments licensed to sell alcoholic beverages for on-premise consumption but without a food and beverage certificate and whose alcohol sales constitute more than 50% of gross receipts.

Blue signs are no longer required under state law.  

Health Risks Warning Sign

TABC encourages people to educate themselves on the issues involving alcohol-related birth defects. The holder of a license or permit authorizing the sale of alcoholic beverages for on premises consumption is required to display signs warning of the dangers associated with drinking alcoholic beverages during pregnancy. 

The health risk warning sign must be:

  • Posted at each egress of all public restrooms on the licensed premises;
  • Placed at a level where the sign can be easily seen by persons exiting the restroom;
  • At least 8 1/2 x 11 inches in size.  

Helpful Resources