Skip to main content

Your local TABC

Personal Importation and Ports of Entry FAQs

On this page you'll find frequently asked questions about Ports of Entry services.

General Questions

We are only allowed to accept U.S. currency.

You can pay with a Visa or Mastercard credit card at most locations. Visit our Ports of Entry Locations page to see where these payments are accepted. We do not accept checks.

Yes. A receipt is given to you with every transaction. Our officers no longer place tax stamps on bottles. The receipt serves as your tax stamp and proof of you paying your required taxes.

TABC determined it was too costly to continue issuing stamps and decided to issue a receipt instead. 

TABC deposits all taxes and fees collected into the state's General Revenue Fund, along with all the other tax revenue collected by state agencies.

Bringing Alcohol Into Texas

  • You must be importing the alcohol for personal consumption.
  • Do not bring back more than the maximum quantity of alcohol allowed. (See the question below for the quantity limits.)
  • You can’t import alcohol more than once in a 30-day period.
  • The person doing the importing must accompany the alcoholic beverages. If you’re with a group of people, you can all import the maximum amount allowed within the group. For example, four people will be allowed to import 4 gallons of distilled spirits. Large groups will be questioned about whether the alcohol is for personal use.  
  • People who are younger than 21 or intoxicated may not bring alcohol into Texas.

Yes. All alcoholic beverages imported into Texas are subject to the state liquor tax and a $3 administrative fee collected by TABC’s regulatory compliance officers. Our officers document your payment by issuing you a receipt. If you do not pay the tax you can be subject to a fine ranging from $100 to $1,000 and/or a jail term of up to one year.

The maximum quantity of alcoholic beverages you may import into Texas is: 

  • 1 gallon of distilled spirits.
  • 3 gallons of wine.
  • 24 12-ounce containers of beer (288 ounces of beer).

You won’t be allowed substitutions between the types of beverages (e.g., 3 gallons of distilled spirits instead of wine).

If the limits were not in place, more products that are untested would enter the state. The amount of alcohol imported per person is limited to ensure that it is safely consumed.

TABC will destroy alcoholic beverages over the importation limits. Officers will also not allow alcohol to be imported by people younger than 21 and intoxicated people, and cigarettes can’t be imported by people under 21.

Texas law allows a person to import an unlimited personal collection of malt beverages, wine or distilled spirits along with their household goods when relocating to the state. You do not have to fill out any paperwork or pay the typical state taxes. If you’re moving to Texas from outside of the U.S., contact U.S. Customs and Border Protection  about federal regulations and taxes.    See Alcoholic Beverage Code Section 107.11.

If you are bringing liquor to sell at your bar, no. Any imported alcohol must be for personal consumption only and may not be resold. But if you’re relocating your household to Texas, you can import an unlimited personal collection of malt beverages, wine or distilled spirit as part of your household goods without paying state taxes or filling out any paperwork.

Yes. You may avail yourself to the state limit on liquor imported for personal use, so long as it is declared in accordance with U.S. Customs and Border Protection officials.

No. A person 21 or older is allowed to import no more than 24 twelve-ounce containers (or one case) of beer per month. A case has 288 ounces of beer, while:

  • A keg has 4,464 ounces of beer. This means you’d have to have seven people with you to bring over a keg.   
  • A pony keg has 496 ounces and would require two people.


Yes. A tax of $1.50 is due on each pack of cigarettes. Our officers issue you a receipt for all cigarettes imported.

There is no limit on the amount of cigarettes that may be imported for personal use. But if you import a large quantity, the Texas Comptroller of Public Accounts will notice and may investigate you for intent to sell the cigarettes in the U.S.