Skip to main content

Your local TABC

Information for Trainers and Schools

Whether you’re a current TABC Certification provider or interested in becoming one, use this page to learn how to become a new trainer, open a TABC-approved school and make changes to a current school or program.

New Trainers

To become a trainer, you must:

  • Be 21 or older.
  • Have two years of teaching or training experience, or 15 hours of secondary education credits in a related field (e.g., curriculum development, public speaking, instructional design, etc.) 
  • Work with a TABC-approved school or program. 
  • Complete the Trainer Certificate Application (ST-402) and pay $100 application fee. 
  • Pass a criminal background check. 
  • Complete the TABC trainer course.

Contact us to learn more at (512) 206-3420 or

New Schools or Programs

To open a TABC seller training school or program:

There are two options for your course materials:

  • If you’re applying for a program based in a classroom, TABC will provide course materials to you once approved.
  • If you’re applying for an online program, you must submit screenshots of all course materials along with a user ID and password so that TABC can log in and review the course.

If you are a TABC-licensed or permitted retailer, you can open an in-house training school, but you need to train more than 150 employees each year to qualify.

Hotels have different requirements.  A management or operating company for five or more hotels can be approved if both of these requirements are met:

  • The training program is administrated through the company’s corporate offices.
  • The hotels collectively employ 200 people at one time who sell, serve, or prepare alcoholic beverages during the license/permit year.

School or Program Changes

Current TABC Certification schools must submit a modification request to provide course materials that are different or in addition to the mandatory materials TABC provides. We must review and approve the request before you can offer the new content to students.

Other changes that require TABC approval are:

Sharing Information

Information collected by TABC for licensing and certification purposes can be shared with the Texas Attorney General's Office on request for purposes related to child support enforcement. This includes, but is not limited to, Social Security numbers, identity, location, employment, property holdings and other assets.

Helpful Links