Skip to main content

Your local TABC

TABC License and Permit FAQs

The FAQs on this page address common questions about TABC licenses and permits.

General Questions

A retailer is a business like as a package store (liquor store), bar, restaurant or grocery store. The alcoholic beverage industry in Texas has three tiers —manufacturing, distribution/wholesale and retail. At its most basic, manufacturers make alcoholic beverages, distributors and wholesalers deliver them to businesses, and retailers sell directly to consumers. Of course, each license and permit has certain authorities to make, distribute or sell alcohol, and you’ll need to check your license or permit type to see what’s allowed.

The type of license or permit you need will depend on what your business model will be. To find the best type for your business, see our license/permit descriptions. You can also contact us with your questions.

You will have to fill out an application and obtain all required certifications from the city, county, Texas Secretary of State and the Texas Comptroller of Public Accounts. You may have to post a 60-day sign and publish notice in the local newspaper. The application has to be submitted to your local TABC office.

Follow these steps to apply: 

  • See the license and permit type descriptions to find the best type that will best fit your business. Contact your city or county to be sure the license or permit chosen is available in your business area. 
  • Create an account in Alcohol Industry Management System (AIMS) and complete the application process in AIMS. Learn more about the licensing process on the New TABC Licenses and Permits page. 
  • Or you can do it by paper, but processing will be slower:
    • Download or print the application packet and instructions from our TABC Licensing Forms page.
    • Fill out the application and visit your business’s local city offices, county offices and state comptroller offices to get certified to do business. Your application may also need to put a notice to the surrounding community by sign, by mail and in the local newspaper. 
    • Submit your application in person or by mail to your local TABC office, and our staff will help you start the payment process. 

You will have to fill out an application and obtain all required certifications from the city, county, Texas Secretary of State and the Texas Comptroller of Public Accounts. You may have to post a 60-day sign as well as publish notice in the local newspaper. The application has to be submitted to your local TABC office.

Learn more on the Bonds page.

It’s important to begin the application process as early as possible. The approximate processing time is 30-35 days from the date you submit a complete application to TABC. This time frame can vary depending on the type of license or permit you applied for. It may take longer in some situations.

The cost is different for each type of license or permit and based on what type of business you are applying for in the alcoholic beverage industry. When you know the license or permit type that you want to apply for you can check our fee chart for current costs.

A license or permit is good for two years. It expires on the second anniversary of the date it is issued.

If you’re applying for a new license or permit, you may have to post a sign at your businesses location to notify the public of your intent to sell alcohol. Whether you need a sign depends on if your location has been licensed or permitted for on-premises sales in the two years before our first review of your application. You can research your proposed address on our Public Inquiry System to check if a sign will need to be posted. 

If you’re required to post it, your outdoor sign needs to be visible to the public for 60 days before TABC issues your license or permit. Not displaying this sign could delay the application process. You can download, print and assemble the 60-Day Sign. There are also instructions for completing the sign.

Learn more about Sign Requirements.

Contact the U.S. Alcohol and Tobacco Tax and Trade Bureau before you apply to determine which license, if any, you would need to conduct your business.

Under current law, alcohol permits are only issued to a permanent physical address that has been certified by local authorities. For example, a food truck that moves around a city does not have a permanent physical address.

Temporary Permits and Fundraising Events

The Texas Alcoholic Beverage Code issues temporary permits in two scenarios:

  • Retail permittees may be eligible to get a temporary permit to sell or serve alcoholic beverages at an event taking place at a location separate from their TABC-licensed premises.
  • Certain nonprofits may be eligible to get a temporary permit to sell or serve alcoholic beverages at a special event not being held on TABC-licensed premises.

You can’t get a temporary permit to sell alcoholic beverages if you don’t hold a TABC retailer permit or represent a nonprofit.

Follow these steps to apply: 

  1. View the list of temporary event authorizations to see which permit you should apply for.
  2. Download the appropriate Temporary License/Permit Application with Instructions.
  3. Submit your application by email to your local TABC office or apply in person at your local TABC office.

Submit your application 10 business days before the event to avoid additional fees and processing delays.

Visit our Temporary Event Authorizations page to learn more.

TABC Marketing Practice Bulletin MPB-026 includes a summary of various options available to nonprofits that wish to serve alcoholic beverages at fundraising events.  

Yes. It is legal to provide free alcoholic beverages without a permit. But to be truly "free," the beverage must be available to any adult who walks in the door and requests it. If it’s only for paying customers, the assumption is that the cost of the alcohol is included in the price of the service. This constitutes a sale of alcoholic beverages, and you would need a TABC permit. When you provide the alcoholic beverage, there can’t be any expectation of receiving money. You can’t ask for a donation or tip. You will need a permit if the drinks will only be available to paying guests.

A couple examples of "free” include:

  • A wedding reception with free drinks. 
  • A boutique that serves free wine while you shop, even if you don't buy anything.  

A few examples of “not free” include:

  • A nail salon with a "free" drink when you pay for a manicure.
  • If you buy tickets to attend a charity ball and they serve "free" drinks.
  • If a tip jar sits next to a keg of beer expecting "donations.”