Skip to main content

Your local TABC

Texas Ports of Entry

TABC’s regulatory compliance officers protect public safety and work with travelers who bring alcohol and cigarettes into Texas. The officers in the agency’s Ports of Entry Department monitor 28 Texas-Mexico border crossings and two terminals at the Galveston Seaport. Their duties include: 

  • Ensuring people who are importing these products follow all legal restrictions. 
  • Preventing dangerous products from entering the U.S. while keeping alcohol out of minors’ hands. 
  • Collecting taxes and fees that go into the state’s General Revenue Fund. 

Make sure you know the rules and restrictions before bringing alcohol or cigarettes into Texas. You can view the guide we give out to the public below and keep scrolling to learn more.


Alcoholic Beverages

You can import a total of: 

  • 1 gallon of distilled spirits. 
  • 3 gallons of wine. 
  • 24 12-ounce containers of beer (288 ounces total). 

You can’t make substitutions between the types of alcoholic beverages (e.g., bring in 3 gallons of distilled spirts instead of 3 gallons of wine). Also keep in mind the following restrictions: 

  • The alcohol must be for personal use. 
  • You can import alcohol once every 30 days.  
  • The person importing the alcohol must be present. 
  • You must be 21 or older. If you’re under 21 or intoxicated, you won’t be allowed to import alcohol into Texas. 
  • You will pay the state liquor tax and a $3 administrative fee for the product you bring in. Check out the tax rates listed at the bottom of this page, which include the $3 fee already. 
  • Our officers will issue you a receipt as proof of your payment.  
  • Failure to pay the tax and get the receipt will subject you to a fine ranging from $100 to $1,000 and/or a jail term of up to one year.


  • People 21 and older can import cigarettes. 
  • A tax of $1.50 is due on each pack of cigarettes imported into the state.  
  • Our officers will issue a receipt as proof of your payment. 

Moving to Texas

Texas law allows a person to import an unlimited personal wine, spirits or malt beverage collection along with their household goods when relocating to Texas. 

Buying Alcohol From Out of State

If you’re in Texas, it’s illegal for you to order or purchase malt beverages or distilled spirits from a person or entity outside of Texas and have it shipped into the state. But there are different rules for wine.


You can get wine shipped to you or bring it in yourself. For both ways, you must be 21 or older and you are limited to 3 gallons of wine every 30 days. 

Learn more on our Wine Shipping page.