Skip to main content

Your local TABC

Local Option Elections

Although Texas has statewide alcohol laws, local voters still get to decide the types of alcoholic beverages that can be sold in their communities through local option elections. These elections can be held by counties, cities or individual justice of the peace precincts. 

Are Alcohol Sales Allowed Near Me?

Most counties and cities allow some types of alcohol sales. As of June 2023, there are 59 completely wet counties in Texas and four completely dry counties.

Limits to Wet/Dry Data

This information is the most accurate TABC has to offer. However, keep in mind:

  • Only the city or county clerk's office can officially declare a location to be wet or dry.
  • Elections happen several times a year, and the data above can quickly become outdated.
  • Information is only added here when local governments report a change to TABC.

Information for County and City Officials

County clerks and city secretaries need to notify TABC and the Texas Secretary of State no more than 15 days after issuing a petition seeking a local option election.

You can let us know about a petition by mail, phone or email. Please include:

  • Name of the city or county issuing the petition.
  • Date the petition is issued.
  • Jurisdiction (JP precinct, city or county) where the proposed election would be held.
  • Exact statutory issue ("The legal sale of…" see Sec. 501.035 of the Elections Code) on the petition.

The following information is also helpful:

  • Notice of when a petition is returned with sufficient valid signatures to call an election.
  • Election date.
  • Election results with both votes for and votes against the measure.


Helpful Links