Skip to main content

Your local TABC

License Changes

Use this page to prepare for the major legislative changes TABC will be implementing to license types and fees on Sept. 1, 2021. You will find the following information on this page:

  • How the application process and fees will change.
  • Businesses’ license changes occurring Sept. 1.

Note: We’ve posted the Sept. 1, 2021 Proposed Two-Year Licensing Fees on this page.

What Happens Sept. 1 and What You Need To Do

License and Permit Types

The 86th Texas Legislature in 2019 directed TABC to cut 75 licenses down to 37 by Sept. 1, 2021. Starting Sept. 1, most businesses will need only one TABC license to operate. All TABC-licensed businesses will operate under this new license and permit structure in the Alcoholic Beverage Code

To determine the impact on your business, we’ve created a chart showing how certain current licenses will change and be consolidated into the new license structure.

See TABC Sept. 1, 2021 License Consolidation Explained chart.

For most businesses, the new structure means their licenses will have a different name, additional authorities will be included in the license, or there won’t be any changes. These businesses should keep in mind the following things:

  • Be aware of the changes in the License Consolidation Explained chart.
  • You won’t need to take any action other than accessing AIMS based on your scheduled onboarding date shown in the Technology Changes page.
  • TABC will not print or send a new license to you, but you must print your new license once you access AIMS.

Authorizations for certain license and permit types — like Nonresident Seller’s Permit (S) with a Nonresident Brewer’s Permit (U), Wholesaler’s Permit (W), or General Class B Wholesaler’s Permit (X) — change on Sept. 1 due to consolidation of beer and ale to malt beverages

  • However, even if your license type loses its ale authorization on Sept. 1, you may continue to purchase, sell, transport or store ale and malt liquor under that license until its expiration date.
  • After the license expires, you’ll need to apply for another license to continue activities involving beverages that were classified as ale before Sept. 1 if you don’t already hold the correct license type. For example, if you hold a Wholesaler’s Permit (W) and already hold a General Distributor’s License (BB), you may distribute all malt beverages under the BB.


Why They Are Changing

By law, TABC must establish a single state fee for each license in our TABC Rules.

This change will end the patchwork of fees and surcharges and allow most businesses to focus on a single fee. The new fee structure will also ensure that TABC can enforce the law equally among businesses.

View the Proposed Fees


We’ve created a chart explaining the new proposed fees, which are pending Commission approval.

See Sept. 1, 2021 Proposed Two-Year Licensing Fees chart (June 15 update).

You can provide crucial feedback on the proposed fees by joining TABC’s public stakeholder meeting happening June 2.

Note for Cities and Counties

The proposed two-year fees linked above are only what businesses pay to TABC and should not be used to determine city and county fees at this time.

Elements of the fee process for cities and counties are currently under consideration by the 87th Texas Legislature.