Daily Temporary Mixed Beverage Permit (TB)
Texas Alcoholic Beverage Commission

Logo_full_color 1.jpg


Know your responsibilities for a


Mixed Beverage Permit


 Texas Alcoholic Beverage Commisson










When you reach the end of the course you will need to print out a Certificate of Completion.

If you do not have access to a printer or cannot print the certificate, please contact your local TABC Office to schedule an appointment.

To view this course correctly you will need to maximize your web browser.

When going through each of the screens, you will need to scroll down on some slides to view all the text.

Don't forget to deliver the printed certificate to your local TABC office and maintain a copy for your records.








The Temporary Permit



The holder of a Daily Temporary Mixed Beverage Permit (TB) is authorized to sell beer, wine, and distilled spirits, including mixed drinks to the consumer for consumption on the premises of a temporary location listed in the application.

  • Your temporary permit must be displayed in a conspicuous place at all times.
  • The privileges granted by this temporary permit are limited to the dates and location described in your application.

The commission shall not issue more than ten (10) temporary mixed beverage permits in each calendar year to a person who does not also hold a mixed beverage permit §30.03 TABC Code.

The privileges granted by this temporary permit are limited to the dates and location described in your application.







The Temporary Permit continued




The issuance of a Daily Temporary Mixed Beverage Permit (TB) may require pre-approval by local law enforcement authorities along with city and county governmental entities.



IMPORTANT: Control issues related to an outdoor venue or festival will need to be addressed with the local TABC office.











Purchasing Alcohol

Distilled spirits must be purchased from a

  • Package Store (P) that holds a local distributor's permit (LP) located in the same county in which your premises are located.

If a local distributor is not located in your county, you must purchase distilled spirits from a local distributor in the county nearest you.


Wine may be purchased from a

  • Wholesaler (W) or a package store (P) that holds a local distributor's permit (LP)


Beer may only be purchased from a

  • beer distributor and must be paid for on or before delivery.


IMPORTANT: No unused alcoholic beverages may be returned to the supplier.









  • You may not permit anyone to bring alcoholic beverages onto your premises.
  • Only those alcoholic beverages invoiced to you can be brought onto the premises.
  • Alcoholic beverages are not permitted to leave your premises.

The remaining portion of an open bottle of wine ordered with food is allowed to be removed from the premises by the purchaser.












Alcoholic beverages may be auctioned (sold) during the following hours:

  • 7:00 A.M. to 12:00 Midnight, Monday through Saturday
  • 12:00 Midnight to 1:00 A.M., Sunday
  • 12:00 Noon to 12:00 Midnight, Sunday (Alcoholic beverages may be sold beginning at 10:00 A.M. on Sunday, if the alcoholic beverages are served during the service of food to the customer or if a festival, fair, concert, or sports venue)

If you are in an area that is legal for extended hours, you may continue to sell or serve those alcoholic beverages that you are authorized to sell for on premise consumption until 2:00 A.M.









Selling to Minors



No one under 21 years of age

  • may purchase or be given alcoholic beverages by you or your employees.
  • may consume alcoholic beverages on your premises unless they are in the visible presence of their adult parent(s), legal age spouse, or court appointed guardian.

The only defense in the code against a charge of selling an alcoholic beverage to a minor, making an alcoholic beverage available to a minor, or allowing a minor to illegally possess or consume an alcoholic beverage states a person who sells a minor an alcoholic beverage does not commit an offense if the minor falsely represents himself to be 21 years old or older by displaying an apparently valid proof of identification that contains a physical description and photograph consistent with the minor's appearance, purports to establish that the minor is 21 years of age or older, and was issued by a governmental agency.

The proof of identification may include a driver's license or identification card issued by the Department of Public Safety, a passport, or military identification card.





Teenagers hanging out_resized.gif



Sale to an Intoxicated Person

You may not sell, serve, or deliver an alcoholic beverage to an intoxicated person.






Your permit/license can be suspended or cancelled for the sale, service or delivery of an alcoholic beverage to an intoxicated person.



Drunk businessman with tie on his head.jpg



All alcoholic beverages on the premises must be covered by invoices which must remain on the premises during the duration of the event.

These invoices are subject to inspection by authorized representatives of the Texas Alcoholic Beverage Commission, or any peace officer.

Distilled spirits on your premises must have an identification stamp affixed on each container.

Any distilled spirit not bearing an identification stamp is in violation of the law and subject to seizure.

Immediately after emptying a distilled spirit container the identification stamp must be invalidated.

  • A distilled spirit container may not be refilled with any substance.


 You will be responsible for any tax payment to the Comptroller of Public Accounts.






2 guys fighting at bar resized.jpg


Reporting Disturbances




You and your employees are responsible for the supervision of all persons permitted on the licensed premises.

At the first sign of argument or trouble between your customers, you should require those customers involved to immediately leave the premises.

If necessary, call the local law enforcement authority to have them removed. If a breach of the peace (a disturbance, fight or other violent act) occurs on your premises between any customer and/or employees, you must notify the local TABC office as soon as possible, but not later than five (5) calendar days after the incident.

If a shooting, stabbing or murder, or an incident involving serious bodily injury occurs on the licensed premise, you must notify the local TABC office not later than 24 hours from the time of the incident.








Any authorized representative of the Texas Alcoholic Beverage Commission or any other peace officer has the right and authority to enter your premise and make an inspection of your entire premises for violation of the Texas Alcoholic Beverage Code/Rules.




The commission will determine which sign you must post at your establishment from information provided on your original application, as well as your renewal applications. These signs are available from the Texas Alcoholic Beverage Commission at no charge, or you can choose to have the sign made as long as the sign meets the below size/word requirements.


WEAPONS WARNING SIGNRED 51% – Required if you do not also hold a Food and Beverage Certificate issued by this agency and if over 51% of the gross receipts at the licensed premises are derived from alcoholic beverages



EAPONS WARNING SIGNBLUE – You are required to post a sign at each entrance of your licensed premises informing persons that the unlicensed possession of a weapon on the premises is a felony. The sign will be provided to you at no charge from the Texas Alcoholic Beverage Commission.



EALTH RISK WARNING SIGN – Must be displayed in a prominent place on your premise. The sign must be in both English and Spanish. Signs are provided to you at no charge from the Texas Alcoholic Beverage Commission



PUBLIC INFORMATION/COMPLAINT SIGN– Must be posted in a prominent place on your premises. The sign shall be no smaller than 6" X 3 ½"





NOTE: By printing and signing this certificate you are acknowledging that you have completed the Responsibilities Course for a Daily Temporary Mixed Beverage Permit (TB).



This course is only one part of your original application process and a copy of the printed certificate must be delivered to your local TABC office.







If you have questions concerning your responsibilities for holding this permit, contact your local TABC office to schedule an appointment. Don't forget to deliver the printed certificate to your local TABC office and maintain a copy for your records.